Friday, January 22, 2016

No. 5 The Linden Tree



It's always the simplest poems that are the hardest to translate. But I enjoyed pulling my hair out over this one:

5. The Linden Tree
Der Lindenbaum
Beside the fountain's gateway
There stands a linden tree
Asleep beneath its branches
Sweet dreams had come to me
Am Brunnen vor dem Tore
Da steht ein Lindenbaum;
Ich träumt' in seinem Schatten
So manchen süßen Traum.
I carved into its bark
So many heartfelt lines
It drew me to its shelter
In sad and peaceful times
Ich schnitt in seine Rinde
So manches liebe Wort;
Es zog in Freud' und Leide
Zu ihm mich immer fort.
Today I passed in darkness
The place the figure stands
My eyes closed to its image
On route to wintry lands
Ich mußt' auch heute wandern
Vorbei in tiefer Nacht,
Da hab' ich noch im Dunkeln
Die Augen zugemacht.
I heard it its branches rustling
This song, a final plea:
"Return to me my wanderer,
You'll find your rest with me"
Und seine Zweige rauschten,
Als riefen sie mir zu:
Komm her zu mir, Geselle,
Hier find'st du deine Ruh' !
The cold and angry gale winds
Blew gusts against my face
My hat was blown behind me
I left it in that place
Die kalten Winde bliesen
Mir grad' ins Angesicht;
Der Hut flog mir vom Kopfe,
Ich wendete mich nicht.
Now far along my journey
I hear that Linden tree
Forever in its rustling
It calls, "Come rest with me"
Nun bin ich manche Stunde
Entfernt von jenem Ort,
Und immer hör' ich's rauschen:
Du fändest Ruhe dort !

No comments:

Post a Comment